Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wireless Network

2 posters

:: TECHNICAL :: HARDWARE

Go down

Wireless Network Empty Wireless Network

Post by jamse06 Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:59 am

I have a wireless AP with router , my neighbor is using my wireless network to access the lan . Recommend me a software from which I can test the speed of wireless network my neighbor on his laptop is getting
jamse06
jamse06
Honorary members

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-06-13

Back to top Go down

Wireless Network Empty Re: Wireless Network

Post by Stef shadows Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:01 am

Hi,

No software required....

Code:

http://www.auditmypc.com/internet-speed-test.asp
Code:

http://www.auditmypc.com/broadband-speed-test.asp
Code:

http://www.intel.com/consumer/game/broadband-speed-test.htm

Rgds,
SSF

Stef shadows

Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by jamse06 Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:02 am

am not talking about the internet bandwidth test . I am talking about the local network bandwidth test.
Laptop --------- AP
they are wirelessly connected and the laptop is the roaming one so I need to check how much local speed I am getting from the AP . I am talking about the local bandwidth.
jamse06
jamse06
Honorary members

Number of posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by Stef shadows Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:04 am

the wireless are of basically 2 common catagories (excluding 802.11a) which are more commonly found in AP and Wireless Client interface cards.
these are 802.11 b and 802.11 g.

with 802.11b the maximum data rate a client could get is 11 mbps at a distance of about 4 to 5 meters. the data rate reduces into 5.5, 2, or 1mbps as when the client moves away from AP.
so now you might have idea, depending on how far is your neighbor client laptop you can guess that he is getting around about 5.5 - 1 Mbps.

with 802.11g a client can get a 54Mbps of Maximum Datarate but guess what again the client must fall in the inner circle that is close to the AP, the outer ranges include these data rates of 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, & 48 Mbps.

and Wireless is a Half Duplex in nature, one client sends signal all others backoff a random time. an 802.11b client will cause 802.11g network to entirely operate in 802.11.b style of datarates. which means the network is downgraded to support older standard clients

Stef shadows

Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: TECHNICAL :: HARDWARE

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum